Breaking News

Colorado man charged in deaths of pregnant wife, daughters

A Colorado man was charged Monday with first-degree murder in the killings of his pregnant wife and their two young daughters, according to court papers.
Chris Watts is charged in the deaths of Shanann Watts, 34, and daughters, Bella, 4, and Celeste. Watts also faces three counts of tampering with a body, and a count of first-degree unlawful termination of a pregnancy, according to court filings in Weld County.

Chris WattsChris Watts
Shanann, Bella and Celeste were reported missing last Monday from their home in Frederick, a town of about 8,600 people 30 miles north of Denver.
Their bodies were found Thursday at the site of a petroleum and natural gas company where Chris Watts had worked, authorities said.
A court filing by prosecutors says Shanann Watts' body was "recovered from a shallow grave near an oil tank," and that "law enforcement recovered the bodies of defendant's two daughters from inside oil tanks located near the grave of their mother."
Prosecutors have not provided a motive in the killings. A judge sealed the arrest affidavit, which might provide information about why Chris Watts was arrested and other details.
Autopsy results have not been released, but documents filed Friday in Chris Watts' arrest reveal some of the victims may have been strangled, along with other grim details.
Chris Watts' attorneys asked a court to require pathologists to swab the little girls' necks, throats and hands for DNA as well as the hands and fingernails of Shanann Watts, court filings show. The judge denied those requests.
Defense attorneys asked the court to allow one of Watts' lawyers and an investigator to be present during autopsies. Judge Marcelo Kopcow also denied that motion.
In a Monday interview on ABC's "Good Morning America," friend Nicole Atkinson said she dropped Shanann off at home about 2 a.m. August 13 after they finished a business trip.
"She went inside, turned around and waved at me and shut the door," Atkinson said.
Shanann didn't return calls later that day and missed a medical appointment at which she was expected to hear her unborn child's heartbeat, Atkinson said. Shanann was 15 weeks pregnant.
Atkinson said she contacted Chris Watts, but he didn't seem as worried as she thought he should be. Atkinson said she then contacted police.
In an interview with a local news station Tuesday -- after his family disappeared but before his arrest -- Chris Watts also said his wife got home around 2 a.m.

No comments

'; (function() { var dsq = document.createElement('script'); dsq.type = 'text/javascript'; dsq.async = true; dsq.src = '//' + disqus_shortname + ''; (document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0] || document.getElementsByTagName('body')[0]).appendChild(dsq); })();